Wednesday, September 27, 2006

RETRO INTRO






A new feature starting today will be a retro pic. Today's is not so old (2003) but does bring back a memory of times on Long Beach. As a new chapter begins for Sue & Bill it's timely to dedicate some space to good times on the wet coast.





We see here Jean Chretien and Howdy-Doody at the BBQ, (I'm sure it was salmon that night.)









Back on Denman.... I planted the back 1/4 acre with Fall Rye and it has taken off... everything is green and growing like crazy. Fall Rye, (we are told by locals) will improve the soil quality dramatically and may allow us to actually plant a lawn, (if we want one). (sounds like work to me) Speaking of work... I've used some of this beautiful 24 degree weather to chop a whack of kindling for the winter. The weather has been so warm, we are still sleeping with the window wide open.







Wildlife update.... The Denman Cougar is still at large. We take Sienna with us when we go for walks, (as protection...not bait). It has been here since May and has proven itself in outsmarting all attempts to dart it by wildlife officers. This week, while looking at some acreage, Kari & I saw the elusive Denman "Alligator Lizard". It stayed still long enough to take a picture, but somebody forgot to bring the camera. The sea lions have returned and a faint barking can be heard ALL NIGHT. They are on the other side of Baynes Sound and I wonder how people sleep that are much closer to them than us.







Not so wild, but weird... this is Norman. Enlarge the picture and note that his ears are on the side of his head instead of the top, and his whiskers are curly. Rat's whiskers are used to navigate in the dark... something tells me he bumps into things at night. He is quite sweet and good natured although not quite as adventurous as Sparks (his room-mate). Both are graduating from the timid stage and tear around the room like crazy. Rats, unlike other vermin pets (gerbils, hamsters, mice etc) are very social and have no desire to run away. They don't poop outside of the cage and are extremely entertaining. As you may have guessed, the cat is no threat.... Sienna however, I'm not so sure about.







At the time of writing Clay is back in the hospital. I leave for Vancouver tomorrow (yes, back in court. I'll report on that more when there is no security breach) I think I'll stay with him till he's feeling better. If you want to wish him well, leave a message on his cell as he has no phone service in the hospital. Call me (or Kari) if you need the number.

No comments: