Thursday, September 14, 2006

Terminally Ill

There is some controversy here in Denmanistan about the new Ferry Terminal in Buckley Bay. I must admit there are some memories of gulf island ferry docks from my childhood, so I do empathize. Those towering creosote soaked poles supporting the massive cement couter-wieghts, the wheels, the pulleys, the huge timber walls that cradled the blue and white, rusted, rag-tagged gulf island ferry fleet, the little white sign proudly stating Galiano or Saltspring or Denman Island… they are the signature of the gulf islands. Now to replaced by a sleek, trim, low profile, gray, hydraulic ramp….I mean really!!
I offer you these pictures… you be the judge… which says “Gulf Island” to you?















Here’s a couple of more pictures that I took on one of my few days off in August. Kari, Ashley, Sienna and I, all piled into the canoe and headed south. Determined to paddle to Chrome Island, we stroked for 45 minutes and the island was further away than when we started. The lunch, that was destined to be consumed on Chrome Island, was only to make it half way there. We did come upon these growling, burping creatures and a couple followed us for a while. Sienna did not know what to make of them.



No comments: