Saturday, October 28, 2006

The big five-"O"

C'mon, tell me this guy doesn't look fifty. Talk about well preserved! The day came and went.... thanks for all your calls and good wishes! I'm looking forward to cashing in my gift certificate for a one hour massage next Thursday.
We had a wonderful steak dinner to celebrate with all the trimmings along with a nice '02 Cabernet. I'm so looking forward to more celebrating on the long weekend.

The new addition to my blog page (the clock down and to the right) depicts the time in Cromwell New Zealand where it is tomorrow. They are four hours behind and a day ahead. Hey Curt, you owe me an email!

Saturday we made the usual recycling and free store run. Ashley picked up something from the free store to make a Halloween costume, although I'm not entirely certain what she will be. Something "dead" I am told.
Then we went off on the Conservancy Nature Walk. Today's walk was to Railway Marsh, and Eagle Marsh. The trail follows the bed of the old logging Railway built around 1900. I was amazed that even after 3 clear cuts, Mother Nature was still trying to regenerate the earth, plants, and animals. Even within the slash piles and fallen logs there was life. The highlight was a glimpse of a curious beaver.
Our guides pointed out that all the slag and dead fall is the home for many organisms and the nursery for future growth. In another fifty years this will be a beautiful place. The trail and the marshes have been protected from future development. There are several walks at various times of the year, each featuring a different subject or location. Best of all, it's free and introduces us "nubies" to some of the island's extensive trail network.





Hey, Bill...can you eat these??




Officially one month without caffeine... OK, so I'm drinking decaf which I hear still has some caffeine, and then there was the chocolate bar fundraiser for Ashley.... that was for a good cause. Yes, there was a grouchy couple of days and some headaches, but that had to be expected (to be able to kick the 30 year-old habit).




No comments: