Friday, December 22, 2006

Denman Island Yule Tide

The season is upon us and for the first time ever, I have not purchased a single Christmas Present and have made it as clear as possible, that nothing should be bought for me. I don't feel guilty or stingy....because of course, we're giving some cash so the (adult children) recipients can go and buy their own stuff... (and of course, [Kari bought] presents for Ashley... no childhoods shall be destroyed here). BUT, if I had my way, Christmas would not be about stuff, (or cash) but about get-togethers of family, friends and communities. It's not that I'm feeling humbug or overly commercialized; it's just about wanting the holiday season to be about something other that accumulating "stuff". If I really wanted stuff, I would go get stuff. This isn't a rant, really; besides, I have no room for more stuff. This year, living here has sheltered me completely from commercial store-fronts that depend on guilt (or generosity) driven credit cards to make or break their fiscal year end. I'm feeling the "spirit" quite well, thank-you, simply by being included in community and neighbourhood events, (of which there is no shortage). My only regret is that I have no creative or artistic abilities to pass on as gifts, as so many people here do ...(I may work on that).

The Denman Island Yule-Tide is as follows:

2:34 am ...3.4
10:03am..16.4
4:16pm...10.6
8:35pm...12.5

*All Yule Tide heights are measured in "feet" and are in **Pacific Standard Time**

No word from CJ in NZ. Perhaps he'll call on Christmas.

We dropped into an Open House held by our local Realtors, (we're really popular there) on Wednesday and enjoyed drinking their wine and eating their food etc. We entered a draw and guess who won the prize.... a lovely carving set. More stuff, I can't get away from it. Unfortunately the inaugural carving will have to wait as we aren't having a turkey this year.

The weather looks like it will be decent for awhile now and we'll be heading off island tomorrow, (Saturday) to visit the kids in Langley for a Christmas lunch, then blitzen back to the island. This makes for a long and tiring day, but we don't do it often. Between the holidays, we may be found in Courtenay looking for stuff to buy and feeling sorry for ourselves for not buying any presents.

New years' resolutions??? Well, there is some time to think about them, isn't there? Mine may be to give more of myself; anyone who knows me, knows this may be hard to achieve; but resolutions should be a stretch, shouldn't they?

Best of the season to all, and if need be, (and it makes you happy), give and receive lots of stuff.
We shall be partaking in some family festivities which include, but isn't limited to, enjoying each others' company and a goblet or two.
I blog you a Merry Christmas!

















No comments: