Sunday, December 10, 2006

New Christmas Traditions




One week later and temps have risen to around 8 or 9c. This was all well and good until the the 60 cm of snow on the roof slowly slid down and took the front gutter with it. It will be a prudent investment this spring to buy some snow stops for the roof. This week we had 4 more "planned" power outages to bury the power cables on the beach at low tide (which was between 8-10 pm.) We actually had a negative tide this week, at -.08 feet, but it was dark and I couldn't see it. I have to say again that the snow removal here is as good as anywhere... the picture below shows a view looking toward downtown Denman Island after our second dump of snow. I rest my case!
On Friday while waiting for Ashley at the ferry (where we pick her up in bad weather) I spotted a long furry critter scavenging along the water-line. I walked over to the beach and waited to see what he would do, as I was in his path. Upon spotting me he calmly jumped into the water and swam around my position. It was definitely in the weasel family, but I'm not certain exactly what.... and of course I forgot the camera. It will be my New Year's resolution to take my camera where ever I go. Incidentally, thanks Mom for the camera which I bought with my Birthday money.... my old one was on it's last legs.
Last weekend we went to our first Christmas Potluck at a neighbours. There were about 20 adults there + another 20 kids. The food was excellent and we continue to meet new people here.
This evening Kari is @ ladies night for Christmas appies and clothes swap. I'm not sure if they swap the clothes that they are wearing.... or how exactly it works... but Kari wouldn't take the camera.
This coming weekend kicks off on Saturday night with the annual "seniors" Christmas Dinner and dance. Go figure, we're seniors here, which apparently is anyone at least 45 years old. As we already know of a few old timers here in their late 80's, it stands to reason that you can be a senior here for the next 45 + years.
Then on Sunday there is a free Christmas dinner for everyone on the island.... you read it right... everyone on the island. We're told that this has been a tradition for some years. Last year it was shut down (as rumour has it) because of some bureaucratic red tape. Damn those mainlanders! Anyway it's back and I'm not sure how... but they can't lock us all up can they? I guess they could send us all to some remote island to serve a 10 year term.... but I digress.

FINALLY got an email from Curt (in New Zealand) an excerpt to follow: Cromwell has a huge farmers market on sundays ..and today Denise and I set up a Hemptations stand selling all sorts of neat jewellry weve been making in our spare time...we will be set up the next two sundays as well...
i got totally sunburnt today ..so its fair to say that we are indeed on opposite ends of the earth..sorry i havent been very good at keeping i touch...we get ADSL in a couple days..i hope i can update the blog by then...
I'll end the blog this week with a picture of the whistle buoy which guides ships approaching Ucluelet Harbour. After the last storm it has become what Bill & Sue call their new lawn ornament.

No comments: