Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I went to a Garden Party....


We went to the "Garden Party" on Saturday.... No, there was no tea and croquet or a Ricky Nelson sing-a-long.... this garden party, is a work party for a couple of hours, to help out the Island's organic farming community. It was a great way to meet your fellow islanders and you don't even notice that you're working while chatting. The event is organised by, who else but Fireweed? She's at the centre of many worthwhile, natural interests and events. I've added Fireweed's links to my link-list, (below and to the right)

The Denman Island Players presentation of "The Wobble" ran last week and we attended the Saturday evening performance. The play is a self written and performed effort by a group of islanders. The premise is; what would happen post disaster to our world as we know it. The disaster in this case, is an alteration of the earth's axis. It certainly got you thinking...

Right after my rant about our no-action governments, they announce a "gas-hog" tax.... maybe there really is hope.... Along with taxing the gas-guzzlers, there will be incentives to purchase efficient vehicles, (these won't be going on sale anytime soon). Now how about discounted parking and ferry rates for smaller cars... seems like a natural to me.

So, I was reading a David Suzuki column the other day entitled " Wanted: Leadership for the 21st century". Suzuki (who just turned 71) ponders, "Politicians have a much shorter lifespan - Politically speaking, that is. They can be around for four years or less. Rarely more than eight. That's why I'm often surprised by how little they seem to accomplish in that time. But what's the point of being (re) elected if you aren't going to DO anything?" Dr. Suzuki went off across Canada in his diesel guzzling bus...(ok, maybe it's bio-diesel?), to find out what the average Canadian would do if they were Prime Minister. He didn't stop at Denman to ask me, so I've come up with my top 5 commands if I were King... er, I mean Prime Minister... In no particular order...

1) - Halt all attempts by corporations to monopolize the farming industry. (all industries for that matter) I do not want my food source controlled by Monsanto thank-you... (or my wine by Vincor or Sogrape) Small producers are the future.... I'm shopping less @ Costco; honest!

2) - Ban the export of raw logs. (it just pisses me off) Let's build some product for export, or at least peel the logs..... Who'll do it? We could train all the tax administrators that we're going to fire on change #3

3) - A flat, single tax system. We do not need 5 layers of taxes. If we dismantled all excess tax administration, we'd be paying 30% less. (prove me wrong!) Send all the GST admin to peel logs and make stuff out of wood. Maybe the underground economy would surface if our dollars weren't squandered.

4) - Proportionate representation in Government. Duh, this is a no brainer... we couldn't do any worse. No doubt, there would be a steep learning curve. Electoral Reform Now!

5) - Ok, I said only 5 things.... it's got to be a ban on the farming or growing of foreign species, (plant or animal) Native things grow very well here, strange isn't it. Note to Atlantic Salmon Farmers: Learn to peel logs.







Oh, and please SIGN UP for David Suzuki's Nature Challenge... he's shooting for a million people!


Wild-life update: The Hummingbirds are back!! Thursday was the first sighting of hummingbirds in the new hanging planters. (Kari had heard they'd shown up in Courtenay on Tuesday). Add these to the garter snakes which have invaded the front yard, and the tree frogs and rough-skinned newts that have decided it's time to cross the road, (at their own peril). I have never seen so many earth worms after a rain... the roads are covered and the robins have been looking very happy as the pickins' are easy. The deer have re-emerged and have discovered the emerald cedars (which are supposed to be safe because they are next to the house... NOT!) I think they have learned to intentionally trip the motion censor so that they can see what they're eating. Next step is to post a canine sentry.


Cheap Dave's Wine Corner Jacob’s Creek 2004 Shiraz Cabernet. ($13.49) Toronto Life Magazine says: Great value. Reserved yet solid with complex blueberry, mint, chocolate, pepper and leather aromas. Medium-full bodied wine, dense and firm with fine tannin. Drink: 2007-2010. 4-stars Ok, so it got a great review, maybe I just don't get it.... This would be an OK wine to introduce someone to red wines, as it is quite pleasant. But, I did expect something with more depth and grip. It was something of a limp handshake for me. I'll have to pass.

HEY... was in the LCB the other day.... CONO MERLOT and CABERNET for $9.49 This is a ridiculously great buy... they must be expecting a vintage shipment. Get it while you can!!!

No comments: