Sunday, September 02, 2007

There's Something Fishy Going On...

The Denman Island Blackberry Faire was a Blackberry Flood! The rain held off until after the parade.... Ashley and her friend Stephanie co-piloted truck #53 rounding out the parade.... then a sprinkle turned into a downpour and the planned softball game was called off.... (which may have been a good thing as the competition looked like they knew what they were doing. The Fireman's Hamburger Stand sold a record number despite the damp weather. Most Fare-goers then moved inside the hall for a little entertainment.

Saturday, Jesse, Tyler and I went on a short fishing trip with a nicer than expected outcome. Jess bagged a nice 10 pounder for the BBQ and I lucked into this lunker weighing in at just under 38 pounds. Gee, I wish I knew someone with a boat and new motor...... This is incentive to check around for a nice 16 footer. We now have a good supply of salmon (in the freezer) for the winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tried sending a comment earlier, but I'm not a gmailer or blogger, so I'm not sure if the comment was posted...

I've been reading your entries with interest - I am very interested in straw bale building, and am intending on a small project to build an addition on the house with straw. The only problem is, where to get some straw bale? I've been calling around the valley without much success...

BTW, I live in Fanny Bay near the gov't dock! I'm hoping to watch your progress in building your home - I am excited for you!

s_m_davey at hotmail dot com

Dave said...

Hi and thanx... there is some straw to be found on Vancouver island... as close as Nanaimo. I sourced some in Saanich. The problem is that the bales are not "clean", meaning there is a lot of grain in them. This can be a problem with rats etc. (If I was ready to bale now, this wouldn't be a problem, however; I'll not be baling until spring, so must store the bales til then.) The high grain content is a result of not having the right machinery in BC. Although it's not my first preference, I'll likely go to an Alberta source for flax straw, (which if preferable to the Barley and oats found on the Island).