Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Great Canadian Rip-Off

The last time I checked (Sept.13th) the Canadian Loonie was within 6 cents of the American greenback. So, why is it that cars are 25% cheaper in the States? (Thats 25% cheaper after taxes, exchange and duty if you buy one there) And why is it that books and magazines sport a 30% premium compared to Stateside? Next time you're in Chapters, offer them 6% more than the American price and listen to their explanation. Auto manufacturers are now beginning to restrict the purchase of autos to Canadians from American dealerships. Could this be because their profit margins are 30% higher in the Canadian marketplace? But that's OK, we're Canadian, we'll take abuse and say thanks.

Straw Bale House Update: still no water or power on site. I picked up the pump and pressure tank etc. this week. Still no word on when BC Hydro will be running our line in, but it could be any week now. (or any month now). I'll insulate and finish the interior of the pump-house before setting everything up. I have the "revised" finished house plans today and a set has been dropped at the truss company so they can get me in line. The straw we had a line on may not work out as it contains a lot of grain.... although we'd prefer to buy locally, it looks like we're back to Alberta, where they know how to thresh. I've found storage here on the island for my 450 or so bales.... the good news: price was right, (free).... the bad news: It's a loft... now I've just got to find one of those bale conveyors to get it up there.


Mark you calendars.... Valdy / Gary Fjellgaard concert has been announced for Friday October 12th at the Denman Island Community Hall.


We have one feral kitten left, (that may never leave). We've become attached to this little guy.... yes all of the kittens have tugged on some heartstrings, but this fella has something extra. Boo, (short for Booger.... for the small tuft of white fur under his right nostril) may indeed become part of the family. The name may have to change as Kari refuses to call him Booger. I'm thinking "Wil Feral" may work.

I spotted this woodpecker at work this week... (my work,not his), The shot is fuzzy cause he wouldn't stay still, but you can an idea of the girth on this bird... No, there won't be any large pecker jokes. These are fairly common here, but are quite camera shy. I never saw one of these in the city. A little research told me this is the Pileated Woodpecker, likely a female.

No comments: