Wednesday, August 13, 2008

$44 Billion Well Spent?

One can only do, what one can do. I'm still boycotting watching the Olympics on TV. It's a great sacrifice, because I love to watch. What am I proving and what are the consequences of not watching? First off, I have to say that I do support the concept of the Olympics, just not the policies of the host country or the money spent on impressing the world. In the case Beijing, some 42-44 billion dollars. So, I guess the only message I send, is to the advertisers selling their wares to the viewing TV public.... sigh.

Kari & I went for a short hike along the east shore of Chickadee Lake on the weekend. So, this next rant is about the beer cans left by (young adult) partiers along the lake shore. Other that enjoying the great outdoors, there is very little for the youth of Denman Island to do, except party and indulge in a few wobbly pops. (and that's all good) As the Island is extremely clean and litter-free.... I guess I just expect more from the people who grow up here. Another disillusionment. (another sigh)

Straw Bale House Update: The garage/guesthouse has been the focus over the last week or so. The concrete slab pour is scheduled for Friday morning. Once that's done, we can lock it up and have storage for our straw and lime plaster. (and a workshop if there's any room left) There's a good chance my over-buying in the straw department may (in fact) fill it to the brim. The gaping hole in the house roof (on the east side) is for the twenty foot skylight. The track is now in place and the glass is on site, (in three pieces). We'll be working on that as soon as the labour is available. The biggest sheet of glass is about 150 pounds.

No comments: