Sunday, August 03, 2008

Dear Mr. Falcon

Kevin Falcon, British Columbia Minister of Transport
Dear Mr. Falcon,
I say... "good on ya". I'm a resident of a gulf island that has been sponging off the rest of the province by taking full advantage of the subsidization for ferry travel provided by my fellow BC taxpayers. It was high time you put an end to that! I'm more than willing to pay my way to and from my home to buy food (and take part in other such frivolous activities). My fellow taxpayers shouldn't have to pay so that I can enjoy my life on a beautiful gulf island. Damn it, I should have to pay my own way to live where I do. I'm proud to live in Province that promotes a "user pay" philosophy. As the Provincial Government has taken on this policy, I can hardly wait until my tax dollars no longer subsidize snow removal on provincial highways in northern B.C. Please also count me out on participating on the upgrading and maintenance of the most expensive piece of highway in BC., the Sea to Sky Highway. I'm sure residents of Whistler will feel the same as I do and look forward to paying their way. I'm sure you'll want to toll those Olympic patrons also, hell if they can afford $1000 for an event ticket, what's another hundred for a highway toll? The current $700 million upgrading of that highway will be a drop in the bucket for those guys. Please reduce my taxes accordingly as I don't think I'll be traveling on the Sea to Sky Highway, but feel free to charge me accordingly if I do. Oh, and Kevin, While you're at it, count me out on the subsidization of the current BC transit and Skytrain Line and any future expansion(s). I promise not to use it! Can you also tell the Minister in charge that I won't be using the convention centre, so don't count on me for a contribution to that $200 million. Last but not least, please send a rebate cheque for my portion of tax dollars used to run all the freshwater ferries, which are free. (Please Google "longest free ferry ride in the world") Wha-hoo!, I love this user pay stuff. Living on a little gulf island has never been so affordable.

"I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."
-George Bush

No comments: